Looking forward to Halloween we would like to take you to some spookiest places in the world ! Can you keep a cool head …?
- Nagoro is a creepy Japanese village where dolls replace the departed. It might make you question the reality. Eleven years ago, Tsukimi Ayano returned home to Nagoro and she has populated the village with dolls.
2. The hill of crosses in Lithuania is a unique sacral place, amazing and the only one in the world.
3. In Sagada, Philippines, the dead are buried in coffins which are tied or nailed to the side of cliffs. This practise is over 2000 years old.
4. The Door to Hell, Turkmenistan. At the heart of Turkmenistan’s Karakum Desert sits a crater of fire the size of a football field that’s been perpetually burning now for almost fifty years. Locals have suitably dubbed it the ‘Door To Hell’, officially it’s known as the Darvaza Gas Crater.
5. Psychiatric Hospital in Zofiówka. The hospital was an uneasy place from the beginning ,but the occupation brought exceptionally hard times. During the liquidation in 1942 ,110 people were murdered there and the rest were transported to Treblinka. A lot of people say that the windows are showing figures walking at night through the corridors of the building.
6. Old Changi Hospital in Singapour,During the II World War, it served as a place of torture of the Japanese secret political police. In the ruins live ghosts of Japanese soldiers, people murdered during the occupation and patients who died there. You can see there a man walking down the corridor, a woman appearing and disappearing in the hospital rooms and bleeding soldiers of the Japanese army. And all this in the accompaniment of loud beats and screams of unexplained origin.
7. The Island of the Dolls, Xochimilco, Mexico City, Mexico. The Island of the Dolls, originally owned by Don Julián Santana, is full of dolls hanging from trees and buildings covered with cobwebs and insects. The place was named during the 1950s when the owner began to hang them as protection against evil spirits.
8. Hotel Banff Springs. Haunted hotel situated in Canada. This place has scary stories of ghosts and apparitions. Guests see demons of a burning bride and a young boy.
9. Aokigahara. A forest in Japan. Young boys and girls commit suicide or they attempt it in this place. This forest has a very bad power.
10. Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum. The gothic stone structure of this old place just looks haunted, it’s no suprise there are ghost stories associated with this Civil War-era hospital. Construction began in 1858 and were used as a camp for Union Soliders. Originally built to house 250 patients, but in one time there were 2400 patients jammed into overcrowded, poor conditions. The hospital closed in 1994, but eventually was reopened as a tourist destination. Witnesses have reported doors slamming and bloodcurdling screams from within the buliding’s walls.
news co-prepared by students from class 1 B – Julia Psonka, Jakub Próba, Oliwia Piech, Justyna Wawrzyniak, Zuzanna Biernat, Wiktoria Majchrzak and Zuzanna Margas.
edited by Ms Joanna Wołkowicka